Marunouchi has served as Japan’s center of politics, economics and culture for over 400 years, and as Japan’s center of international business for over 100 years, ever since its first office building – the Mitsubishi Ichigokan – was constructed in 1894. Stretching 120 hectares between the Imperial Palace and Tokyo Station, it accommodates more than 4,000 domestic and global blue chip corporations and 230,000 office workers.
Tokyo – One of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities
Global Power City Index
World’s most populous urban agglomerations
Marunouchi – A world-leading business center
World’s highest concentration of Fortune Global 500
Business center size comparison
Asia-Pacific’s top 5 megacities
The most foreign financial institutions in Japan
400 years ago in the Tokugawa era, Marunouchi was a residential district surrounding Edo Castle with the estates of feudal lords. After Mitsubishi’s second president, Yanosuke Iwasaki, purchased the land from the Meiji Government in 1890, Marunouchi became a modern business center and the driving force of Japan’s economy, which it has remained until this day. Through Meiji Era modernization and Japan’s post-WWII economic growth, Marunouchi has always evolved in step with the times.
1600s Tokugawa Edo Castle becomes Japan’s center of politics, finance and culture
1890s Marunouchi launches a new era as Japan’s business center
Late 1890s An office area is developed with brick buildings
1920s Modern American-style high-rise buildings line the streets
1950s Japan’s high economic growth period raises the demand for large buildings
1998 Launch of the Marunouchi Redevelopment Project